Use custom fields in your checkout form
Fields turn your checkout into a checkout form. They let you easily capture customer data, order preferences, custom product messages and shipping data. Via the Stripe <> Zapier integration you can automate all sorts of processes with the data you capture during checkout.
How do I add custom fields to my checkout?
Select the page you want to add fields to. If you haven't created the page yet, do this first by clicking the New page button in your dashboard.
Now click the Fields tab.
Click the Add field button to add your first field. This will create an empty form field. You can add more fields by repeatedly pressing the Add field button.
Fields come with (some of the) following options, depending on the field type:
Field type - Field types let you create different types of form inputs to collect customer details and order preferences. Check Field types for available fields.
Label - The label is the only required field to create a field. It will be used as the label of the Field and it will be shown to you next to what your customer fills in.
Placeholder - Use this field if you want to add a custom placeholder to your field. If you leave it blank, the Label will be shown as a placeholder.
Data type - Use Data types to save customer details such as name, email and address details correctly in Checkout Page and externally. Look at the Data types below on how to use these types.
Required - By selecting the required field, your customer will be forced to fill in this field to continue with the checkout.
Reference - Use the Reference field to identify fields in integrations such as Zapier and Stripe Metadata.
Available field types
- Text: A textfield to collect names, messages or other short texts
- Textarea: A textarea field, useful to collect longer messages
- Email: An email field to collect a single email address
- Checkbox: A checkbox field, useful to let customers agree to your terms of service or sign up to a newsletter
- Select: Create a select dropdown to let customers select from a list of options
- Quantity (one-off charges): Let customers select a quantity, calculated as
page price * quantity. Note that:
- Minimum quantity is 1.
- Additional charge amounts from Variants are (currently) not multiplied by quantity and will be added on top of the total price.
- When using Pay what you want, quantity won't affect the price.
Data types are optional, but can provide a better experience for you and your customers. Data types can be used to store customer information explicitly. For example: when using data type Customer name, this field's value will be stored as the customer's name in both Checkout Page and Stripe.
The customer name field will be saved in the Shipping section of the customer object in Stripe.
Customer email address
If you add a customer email address field, we will send your customer a payment confirmation when they make a purchase. You're able to customise the content of this message in your page's Settings. The email address will also be saved in the customer object created in Stripe.
The customer phone field is saved in the Shipping section of the customer object in Stripe.*
The shipping address field will be saved in the Shipping section of the customer object in Stripe. To add data to the Shipping section in Stripe, you need to add at least a Customer name and a Shipping Address field, which need to be both filled out by your customer.
All shipping fields will be saved in the Shipping section of the customer object in Stripe.
* To add data to the Shipping section in Stripe, you need to add at least a Customer name and a Shipping Address field, which need to be both filled out by your customer.