In this help article, we’ll cover how you can use a payment plan to sell products or services.
The payment plan consists of a number of payments, recurring at the interval of your choice. In comparison to a subscription, you can limit your payment plan to a fixed number of payments. It can also be used to allow your customers to pay for your product in instalments.
Simply create a one page checkout and select Payment plan as your pricing.
How to create a payment plan
- Create a checkout
- Select Payment plan as your pricing
- Set your Amount under Price
- Select your Currency
- Select how often the payment Repeats (daily/weekly/monthly/every 3 months/every 6 months/yearly)
- Enter the Number of payments to automatically end your subscription after the last payment or leave it blank for a rolling payment plan
- Optionally, check the box if you'd like to:
- Add discounted from pricing if you wish to show the original price of your p
- Choose to Offer a free trial and enter the number of days
- Tick the box to Charge a setup fee together with the first payment of your plan
- Select price from Stripe to reuse products and prices from Stripe
- Click Create checkout
- Now you’ve created a one page checkout with a payment plan!
"Discounted from" pricing
You can choose to add the original price of your product or service to show the discount you're offering.
Select Add discounted from price and enter the original price before the discount.
Learn more about "discounted from" pricing here
Set a period of days where your customers can try your product without being charged.
Tick to Offer a free trial and enter the number of days.
Your customers will be charged as soon as the trial period ends.
Your customer purchases a subscription on May 3 at 14:00 with a 5-day trial period.
Your customer will be charged on May 10 at 14:00.
Learn more about free trials here
Add a one-time setup fee that will be charged immediately.
Check the box to Charge a setup fee and enter the price.
Learn more about setup fees here
Select price from Stripe
When you set up a new subscription or payment plan, Checkout Page automatically creates a new price for you on Stripe. This price mirrors the settings from Checkout Page and bills your customers accordingly.
If you are an existing Stripe user and have already set up a number of products on Stripe, you can easily reuse one of your existing payment plans or subscriptions by selecting a price from Stripe.
This way you can keep your Stripe account organized, subscribing your customers to the same plan you have already been using and reuse the same price across multiple checkouts.
Learn more about selecting prices from Stripe here
Things to note
- Your customer will be charged immediately at checkout unless there is a trial period
- The Amount cannot be zero
- The minimum Amount is US$ 1 or equivalent in your currency of choice
You can view your payment plan customers on the Subscriptions page.
From your dashboard, navigate to Payments and then Subscriptions to view all your subscribers and their status.
Here you will see the plan a customer has subscribed to and any other information they provided at checkout.
You can click on each payment plan to manage it. This will allow you to open it in the Stripe dashboard, where you can make any changes if needed.
Payment plan analytics
From your Checkouts page, click on Payments next to your checkout and view Analytics.
Here you will see the statistics for your payment plans, like the total number of subscriptions, volume, visits and referrals.
Subscription management for customers
Your customers can manage their payment plans in your customer portal.
They receive a link to your portal in the payment confirmation email.
To see the link to your customer portal, open Settings from your dashboard and click on the Customer portal.
A customer can access your customer portal by filling in their email address. They will then receive an email with a link that provides access to the portal for 20 minutes.