How to make test payments after sharing your checkout
In this help article, we’ll cover how to make test payments after sharing your checkout as a payment link or adding your checkout to your site.
To make a test payment after sharing your checkout, we recommend paying yourself a low amount ($1) or applying a 100% discount code to your checkout.
Please note that it’s not possible to use the test card after sharing your checkout.
Apply a 100% discount code to your checkout
We recommend this approach to test payments when you wish to test your checkout with coupon codes.
Please note that this approach only works for one-time & pay-what-you-want checkouts. It does not work for subscription checkouts.
Test payment steps
- Create a coupon
- Set your Amount off to the same amount as your checkout
- Or set your Percentage off to 100%
- Complete creating a coupon
- Create a checkout
- Navigate to Fields and check Allow discount codes on checkout
- This will show a discount code box on your checkout
- Navigate to Test payments and complete your checkout fields
- Enter your coupon code into the discount code box and click Apply
- Paste the test card number, expiry date, & CVC into your checkouts card box
- Click Pay
That’s it, you’ve just made a test payment using a 100% off discount code.
Paying yourself a low amount ($1)
We recommend this approach to test payments when you need to test with a real transaction.
For example, this is a great way to test that integrations between Checkout Page, Stripe & other third-party services are working together as expected.
- Create a checkout
- Set your checkout Price to a low amount ( $1)
- Complete your checkout fields
- Click the Pay button
That’s it, you’ve just paid yourself a low amount!
If you’re testing integrations with Checkout Page, Stripe, & another third-party service, we recommend paying yourself a low amount ($1) after sharing your checkout.
This test uses a real transaction and is the most reliable way to test integrations.
What happens after a test payment is made?
- You’ll be shown the checkout confirmation screen
- A new customer will be created under Customers
- The test payment will appear under Payments and be marked as a Test
- You will receive a payment confirmation email (starting with [TEST])
- If enabled, a confirmation email will be sent to the email address used during checkout (starting with [TEST])
- If enabled, additional payment notifications will be sent to recipients added under Payment notifications (starting with [TEST])
- If enabled, our Zapier integration will trigger actions in third-party apps